History of Wilson
Our school was named after the 20th United States President - Woodrow Wilson - who served from 1913 to 1921.
The original building was built in 1920 and was one of only 3 schools in McAllen ISD.
First named "The North Ward School", later the name was changed to "Wilson School", which as of today is the official name of the school, and does not include the word "elementary".
The very first Principal was Miss. Vera Armstrong and the staff consisted of only 9 teachers.
The current Principal is Ms. Kristine Garza and the staff has grown to over 21 teachers.
Before 1957 African America, White and Mexican students were segregated and sent to separate schools. After the Supreme Court desegregation ruling, Wilson School became the first integrated school in McAllen ISD as well as the Rio Grande Valley.
On January 2, 1968 President Johnson signed the Bilingual Education Act and Wilson School received funding to pilot Bilingual education.
Former teachers that first worked at Wilson School later had MISD schools named after them, Dorthea Brown Middle School, Victor Fields Elementary and former Thigpen Elementary, which was later combined with Zavala Elementary and is now known as Thigpen-Zavala Elementary.
In 1988 the first school was torn down and a new school was built. Several bricks from the original school were used to memorialize the initial Wilson School.
“Changing the World, one Scholar at a time!”
Maroon and Gold